Female-centric, girl-empowering children’s and young adult books are at the heart of a mother-daughter book club. Among the list of Girl Empowerment Resources you will find compilation books and online marketplaces with large numbers of positive book recommendations for girls. There is no need for me to duplicate them.
What you will find right here is a short, targeted, and well-curated list of some of my favorite books for girls. They vary by genre and suggested age level. More of my favorites, many presented with my own reviews and discussion guides, can be found in Her Next Chapter.
Stereotypes and Sexism
- The Future of Us – Jay Asher and Carolyn Macker Age -12+
- The Penderwicks (and sequels) – Jeanne Birdsall Age – 8+
Beauty and Body Image
LGBTQ and Gender Nonconformance
- My Life with the Chimpanzees – Jane Goodall Age – 8+
- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate – Jacqueline Kelly Age – 9+
Girls and Women Around the World
- The Breadwinner series – Deborah Ellis Age – 10+
- Tua and the Elephant – RP Harris Age – 8+